Tuesday, June 21, 2011

aquarius

I wasn't really sure how to name this but here's my first somewhat successful sponging attempt!

aquarius (sponged!) (1/3)

aquarius (sponged!) (2/3)

aquarius (sponged!) (3/3)

Base: China Glaze Snow, 2 coats (Holiday collection 2010)

First sponge: China Glaze Flyin' High (Up and Away collection 2010)

Second sponge (nearer tips): Zoya Charla

I initially had wanted to use OPI What's With The Cattitude for the first sponge (the one that covers about 2/3 of the nail) and I'm glad I chose Flyin' High instead, which is a better match for Charla. I like how Charla adds that mermaid sheen at the tip.

I really like how this turned out! It looks like an ocean spray or something. I could've named it Sea Spray or On Stranger Tides, but they are unfortunately already used as polish names.

I did this by cutting a square of sponge and just putting the polish on a piece of paper (I stupidly tried using kitchen towels in my first few attempts, DO NOT use anything absorbent), then dabbing the sponge on the polish and dabbing it onto your nails. It turns out a little gross and rough at first because of the sponge (unless you're using a smooth sponge), but all is well after you put on your layer of topcoat.

I used a sponge that was holy and I guess rather rough. That's why the gradient turned out splatter-like and sort of like water splashing, which is cool with me, but for a smoother gradient, I think perhaps finding a foundation sponge or something smoother would be a better idea. I might go and hunt for one now, myself.

All in all, extremely pleased with the way this turned out! And it's super fast, because when polishes are sponged on rather than painted, they tend to dry a whole lot faster. The only rate limiting factor is most probably going to be the dry time of your base layer.

UPDATE

aquarius cracked (1/2)

aquarius cracked (2/2)

So I got bored and I also received my haul from 8ty8beauty so I applied some China Glaze Black Mesh over it and I love how it looks! I love how the gradient pops up against the black crackle in the forefront, and how it all looks really cartoony!

5 comments:

  1. Love this! My first gradient was my best. After that, for some reason I keep mucking it up. I think it's with my choice of colours more than anything else though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that choice of colours is quite a headache! but i have always wanted to try this combination and i'm not disappointed! i don't currently have any other brilliant gradient combis in mind though. XD i might try syrup nails next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Sponge! XD

    I've tried using foundation sponge before (Daiso sells a huge pack for $2), but the second colour got added on so smoothly that it just looked like a weird blob of colour o_O Maybe it was my (fail) technique or sth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wanted to check out guardian but it seems like daiso will always win huh. XD but don't you think with the normal sponges it goes on a little rough?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love how it turned out at first. I'm not too much of a fan of crackle so I don't really like the updated photo. Well I like metallic crackles but not the matte ones. I do love that you explained step by step how you did sponge your nails. It's helpful cause I've been trying how to do it myself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete