Friday, June 17, 2011

dancing on the kitchen tiles

dancing on the kitchen tiles (scotchtaped!)

2 coats of OPI Black Onyx then scotchtaped with 1 coat of China Glaze Millenium.

As you can tell, Millenium is now my new favourite darling of nail polish art, because it's striking, outstanding and dries very fast. Anyway, apologies for the less than perfect technique but I'm still getting the hang of it! I had intended this to be a kitchen tiles effect a la Alice in Wonderland like the sort of vinyl flooring but it somehow now reminds me of Formula 1 racing? Perhaps I ought to have used a pure white instead of a silver, but I have no white that is opaque enough to cover in one coat, as is needed for scotch-taping.

Anyhow, I'm generally quite pleased with how this turned out, despite its messy application. Definitely eye-catching and not what you'd usually see on the nails of conservative Singaporeans! My friend suggested black and red checkers like a real checker-board but I felt that that combination might be a little fierce. Black and silver is outstanding, eccentric but still passable. Oh well! My next scotch tape project is going to be something along the lines of starburst!

Dancing on the kitchen tiles - it's from some McFly song, isn't it? I like that line. XD

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! It reminded me of kitchen tiles before F1, don't worry :P
    How did you do this? Do you cut two squares out of scotch tape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am relieved to know! none of my friends thought of kitchen tiles when they saw it. XD

    nope! firstly i cut out normal strips of scotchtape and pasted it on the black so that every part of the nail is covered except for a square on the bottom right, then i painted CG millenium over it as per normal, and took off the scotchtape, leaving only a square of silver.

    then i painted a layer of topcoat, waited for it to dry, then did the same, except now pasting it such that the exposed square is on the top left. painted the CG millenium, and yet another layer of topcoat!

    it's a rather simple technique, just that it might take quite long since you'd have to wait for layers to dry! :D do let me know if you decide to try it!

    ReplyDelete