Friday, June 3, 2011

OPI DS Sapphire

OPI DS Sapphire

From the OPI DS range. 3 coats.

This marks the second DS polish that I own. While mega-fans of linear holos may not really like this range as I have heard that they are all scattered holos except for DS Original, for a holo noob like myself, it does perfectly well at keeping my goo-ga-eyed and mystified by its magic rainbow shine!

DS Sapphire is a blue-tinged silver base with a lavender flash, and of course, the holo that is sort of like a scattered linear. It's not quite a true scattered holo because there is some visible linearity, but yet it is not as clearly defined as the classic China Glaze OMG collection. From afar, or under dim lighting, this polish may seem to be a concrete silver, or maybe even lavender. Application was all right. You can do with 2 coats if you don't mind a little VNL but I decided to do away with my laziness and paint a third coat.

I painted this under dim lighting at the beginning, so I was rather disappointed because the holo was amazing in the bottle and didn't seem to come up too well on the nail. However, after painting it under my flourescent lamp today, I realise that it's actually - not a bad holo at all! I particularly like the lavender flash! It's like, when you direct your nails at a light source, the halo around the light source on your nails would be a lavender gradient-ing out to a more periwinkle purple. Trippy, right? You can only somewhat see it in the photograph, which I admit dims down the lavender flash quite a bit, though it shows up the holo satisfactorily. You can see the discrepancy between the very linear holo in the bottle and the more scattered holo on the nail as well. While you probably can't layer it on top of anything else as one coat is still thick enough to obscure or confuddle anything but the richer colours, it makes a great base layer for Konad-ing (you know what's coming up!) and possibly shatter (I'll try Black Mesh over it when I get it - I suspect under Black Mesh, it'll look like OPI Last Friday Night).

Considering that the poor shopkeeper charged me a whole lot cheaper for this, I'm extremely happy with this buy. It's pretty, it's not a bad holo (though not as linear as I would like) and it's definitely eye-catching. How cheap did I get this? Well, I paid almost the price of a China Glaze for this one. HO HUM! (:

Edit: Just realised that when it's viewed in dim or yellow lighthing, when the holo's all muted out and invisible, it resembles a darker, glittery, more opaque version of Orly Sky Blue Pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment