Friday, June 10, 2011

Essie Mint Candy Apple

Essie Mint Candy Apple (1/2)

Essie Mint Candy Apple (2/2)

From the Essie Winter collection 2009.

This was 2 coats, without topcoat.

Mint Candy Apple is a rather cool mint colour, with blue undertones in it. It isn't particularly obvious on its own but if you compare it to the likes of Orly Gum Drops or China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint, you can definitely see that this is the bluest of the lot. I bought this precisely because of its blue undertones, since I believe that pure green shades have an aversion to me. Still, Mint Candy Apple is a very pretty, mint colour that gives a splash of refreshing vitality to a wide variety of skin tones.

No, my beef with this polish is really on its formula. I'm not sure if it's just me but Essie polishes seem to have a strange sort of drying time. It dries while you're still painting it, so it becomes a goopy, streaky mess! But this only applies (I think) when I paint them under a fan. Is this supposed to happen with any nail polish? I don't seem to be having this problem with any other nail polish. In any case, Essie applies very well in air-conditioning, i.e. no direct wind, but you're not dying from the heat either (I live in a tropical country). I would even go so far as to say that in air-conditioning, Essie creme applications are only second to Zoya, which is saying quite a bit. A one-coater would have been sufficient if your technique was good. If not, an easy second coat would definitely rectify it.

I'm not sure if it's so coincidental that I have always been using this nail polish under a fan because I never can bring myself to get a nicely done manicure of this one, so I haven't worn it. In this photo, I had painted it in air-conditioning so I'm very surprised and pleased with the result! I'd definitely wear it more often, and defy the look of greens on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment